Police in the California city of Orange reported a shooting on Wednesday with “several casualties at the scene, including dead,” and local media said four people were killed before a suspect was arrested.
Few official details of the violence in the city south of Los Angeles were immediately available, but the Los Angeles City News Service (CNS) and the KNBC-TV broadcaster reported that in addition to the four dead, two people had been shot and wounded.
Reporting the incident on its official Facebook page, the Orange Police Department said its officers arrived around 5:30 p.m. local time “as shots were fired and located several victims at the scene, including some dead.” .
The police statement said a “shootout involving a police officer” had taken place and the situation had since been “stabilized” without further threat to the public.
KNBC-TV reported that the shooting broke out at a business complex in Orange, a city about 50 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles. The TV channel and CNS reported that the dead included a child. Various media also reported that the gunman was among the injured.
The violence marked the third deadly mass shooting in the United States in the past two weeks.
Eight people were gunned down by a gunman who rampaged through three-day spas in the Atlanta area on March 16. And 10 people were killed on March 22 when a man opened fire at a supermarket in Boulder, Colorado. The only suspects in these two shootings have been arrested.
Reacting on Twitter to Wednesday’s events in Orange, Calif., Gov. Gavin Newsom called the latest bloodshed “gruesome and heartbreaking.”
(Except for the title, this story was not edited by UK Time News staff and is posted Platforms.)