A swarm of horror bees stung 76 monks in an attack that left six fighters comatose for life.
One of the most shocking incidents involving mini black and yellow beasts came out of Thailand on this day (June 23) 10 years ago.
Dozens of novice monks were cleaning the grounds of Chedi Luang Worawiharn temple in Chiang Mai’s Muang district when a swarm of bees attacked them.
READ MORE: Hot weather could lead to angry bee swarms of 20,000 in the UK
Of the 76 monks stung, 70 were taken to the three area hospitals where 19 were admitted in serious condition and six others in a coma.
The gathered bees came from several hives to attack monks who were spending the afternoon sweeping, the Bangkok Post reported.
The temple abbot, Phra Ratcha Jetiyajarn, confirmed that 53 monks went to Maharaj Nakorn Hospital Chiang Mai and 23 went to Chang Phuek Hospital and Rhuampath Hospital Chiangmai.
Hospital director Dr Naren Chotirosnimitr said six of them arrived at the hospital in a coma after suffering from dangerously low blood pressure.
He explained how multiple bee stings can be deadly for patients allergic to them with symptoms including nausea, difficulty breathing and a nasty rash.
Dr Naren added that 34 of the monks at his hospital left the same day after being treated for minor injuries, but would receive examinations at the temple to monitor their recovery.
Abbot Phra Ratcha Jetiyajarn said there was no suggestion why the bees suddenly launched their attack as the monks carried out a routine cleaning operation.
Never before had insects been a problem, but he insisted that even after the devastating swarm, the temple would keep the beehives guarded, but urged visitors to roam the temple grounds with caution.
For more shocking stories from the UKTN, be sure to sign up for one of our newsletters here
More recently, a British family were trapped indoors and unable to use their garden due to an angry swarm of bees living on the roof of their house.
Charlotte Down, who lives in Canterbury on council-owned property, said her family had been plagued by thousands of insects.
Last year, her daughter Elsie was bitten so badly that she had an allergic reaction which required her to be hospitalized, ITV reported.