15.7 C
London
Saturday, May 8, 2021

All England Open: Indonesian badminton team exited after COVID-19 in-flight affair | Badminton News

Must read

UK Time Newshttps://www.uktimenews.com
UK Time News is your daily dose of Latest News, Entertainment, Music, Fashion, Lifestyle, World, Cricket, Sports, Politics, Tech, Business News Website. We provide you with the Latest Breaking News Straight from the UK & all around the World on different categories.

Several Indonesian players enjoyed successful opening matches on Wednesday.© Twitter



The Indonesian badminton team was forced to withdraw from the Covid-affected All-England Open Championships this week in Birmingham after a passenger on their flight to Britain tested positive for the coronavirus, the officials said. organizers. “In accordance with UK government requirements, the entire team will self-isolate for 10 days from the date of their arrival flight after someone traveling on board has tested positive for Covid-19,” said said a statement Wednesday. “Not all Indonesian players will be able to participate in the current round or the next round of the tournament and have therefore been removed from the All England Open 2021.”

READ  Chris Jericho on the duration of The Inner Circle-Pinnacle storyline, Will Blood and Guts be the end of their feud, and more | UKTN
READ  Three Indian badminton players tested positive for coronavirus ahead of All England Open | Badminton News

The start of the prestigious tournament had already been delayed by five hours on Wednesday after a number of positive and inconclusive results. All came back negative after further testing.

Several Indonesian players enjoyed successful opener games on Wednesday, including fifth men’s favorite Jonatan Christie and men’s doubles favorite Marcus Fernaldi Gideon and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo.

Their opponents in the next round were allowed to pass.

READ  West Brom sinks in Southampton to spur slim hopes of survival, Everton frustrated | Football News

Last year, the All England Open was the last event on the BWF calendar to play before the sport closed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Promoted

International competition resumed in Denmark in October, but was suspended again until January when three tournaments, including the World Tour finals, were staged in a biosecurity “bubble” in Thailand.

READ  The latest: PGA's Rocket Mortgage Classic to get fans

With the event not counting towards Olympic qualification, the main Asian badminton nations, China, South Korea and Taiwan, had already chosen not to travel due to viral restrictions, and the loss of the Indonesian team is an additional blow for the event which is played without fans.

READ  All England Badminton Championships: Tournament Will Be Tough, Competition with Carolina Marin is Healthy for Sport, Says PV Sindhu | Badminton News

Topics mentioned in this article

.

More articles

15,129FansLike
4,596FollowersFollow

Latest article