A scientific committee advising Ottawa on Covid-19 vaccines was to recommend on Monday that the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine be stopped for people under the age of 55, a government source told UKTN.
The provinces of Manitoba and Quebec were the first to heed new guidelines from the National Advisory Committee on Immunization and Health (NACI) based on safety concerns, following reports of blood clots rare in some patients who have received the vaccine abroad.
Physicians from Health Canada and NACI were to provide details in an afternoon briefing.
“To date, no cases of (blot clots) have been reported in Canada,” Health Canada said in a statement. “However, through our continued international collaboration, Health Canada has learned that other cases of these events have been reported in Europe.”
Earlier this month, NACI urged that AstraZeneca injections only be given to people aged 18 to 64, then revised its recommendation to include people 65 and older.
Canada is expected to receive 1.5 million doses of excess AstraZeneca from the United States on Tuesday, which has yet to approve its use in the domestic market.
In addition, Canada has ordered 20 million AstraZeneca injections plus two million more doses of the same formula manufactured by the Serum Institute of India.
But last week it had distributed only about 500,000 doses manufactured by the Serum Institute. Few people went to the young people, according to local reports.
The AstraZeneca vaccine has been on a rollercoaster ride, with Britain developing it strongly supporting its use, South Africa categorically rejecting it, and more than a dozen EU countries suspending the shootings in mid-March before most deployments restarted, but with an age patchwork. limits.
France has limited its use to those over 55 and Spain to those under 65, for example.
(This story was not edited by UK Time News on Social Platforms.)