Chelsea target Matthias Ginter says a number of considerations could force him out of the Borussia Monchengladbach exit this summer.
Inter Milan have been linked with the 27-year-old defender, while Chelsea and Liverpool have been mentioned as Premier League contenders. Inter Milan are keen to tempt the club and the player by offering a lot of money to both sides to secure a deal. However, Chelsea are ready to compete with them for his signing. According to Kicker last summer, Chelsea have a “real interest” in Ginter.
Before that Liverpool were linked with Ginter as they sought a replacement for Dejan Lovren.
Now, although the exit of the chic defender from Mönchengladbach seems more likely than ever with his contract in 2022.
Ginter, speaking about his future, admitted his preference was to play in Europe, but that dream could be dying.
Monchengladbach is in seventh place in the Bundesliga table, but with just three games remaining, their Europa League hopes are on the line.
If the Bundesliga club miss Europe, it could mark the end of their four years with Gladbach.
Borussia Monchengladbach is also looking for a head coach. Marco Rose will leave to join Borussia Dortmund at the end of the season and Gladbach is yet to hold the post.
Ginter said Sky Deutschland: “Basically everyone wants to play in Europe.
“But there are a few other criteria that play a role. That’s why we’ll see what happens with the coaching staff.
“There haven’t been any discussions about it yet. I am very, very open to staying here.
Ginter has made over 130 appearances for Gladbach, including a Bundesliga record still standing this season. He was recently named captain against Frankfurt and Hoffeinheim and has two goals to his name this season.
Meanwhile, Raphael Varane cleverly dismissed questions about his future on Monday.
Subscribe for free to the daily UKTN newsletter …
Varane avoids future questions
Varane and Zinedine Zidane were speaking ahead of Madrid’s Champions League semi-final first leg against Les Bleus on Tuesday in Madrid. The press conference, however, was dominated by Florentino Perez’s involvement in the European Super League and Varane’s future.
According to Mundo Deportivo, there is a good chance that the France defender will leave Real Madrid this summer and the Premier League could be his next destination.
Varane is yet to renew a contract which expires in 2022. Chelsea and Manchester United have been linked with the 28-year-old, with the La Liga side apparently looking to secure £ 61million for the player.
Perez even signaled the club’s intention to let Varane go last week.
He said EL Larguero: “I am happy with our team. We have a great defense, a great midfielder, but yes, we have to do something in the attack.
“[Varane?] If the players don’t want to stay in Madrid, they can leave.
Varane, however, refused to be drawn on his future.
“I’m focused on the end of the season,” said Varane. “If I have a message to the fans, it’s that my commitment is 100% with the team and I will do my best.
“We have a pretty exciting end to the season, great challenges that motivate us a lot. And I’m focused on giving my best on the pitch.
READ MORE: EXCLUSIVE: Chelsea and Man Utd monitor Brighton impacting prospect