BCCI secretary Jay Shah said the IPL was postponed with the safety of everyone involved in mind.© BCCI
The 14th edition of the Indian Premier League has been postponed as the country battles the second wave of COVID-19. BCCI Secretary Jay Shah has made it clear that the safety of everyone involved in the league is the top priority. Speaking to ANI, Shah said that by keeping an eye on the current COVID-19 situation, the BCCI and IPL Board of Directors decided to postpone the league. “The BCCI and the IPL GC have unanimously decided to postpone the 2021 season until further notice. We do not want to compromise the safety of players, those involved, employees, field agents, officials of the match, of every person involved, “he said.
SunRisers Hyderabad wicket keeper Wriddhiman Saha tested positive Tuesday morning after there were cases of COVID-19 at two franchises on Monday.
While two of the Chennai Super Kings (CSK) contingent members tested positive, two Kolkata Knight Riders players tested positive – Varun Chakaravarthy and Sandeep Warrier – forcing the BCCI to postpone the KKR-RCB match in Ahmedabad.
With Saha testing positive, Tuesday night’s game between SRH and reigning champions Mumbai Indians also had to be postponed.
This made matters worse as the match between RCB and KKR had already been postponed and the match between CSK and Rajasthan Royals also had to be canceled as the Chennai unit was in strict quarantine.
The BCCI had issued a statement on the cases in KKR and said: “Varun Chakravarthy and Sandeep Warrier have tested positive in the third round of tests in the past four days. All other members of the team have been tested. negative for COVID-19. “
Topics mentioned in this article