NEW YORK — An electric scooter battery caused a fire that killed an 8-year-old girl in New York City, authorities said. The death of Stephanie Villa Torres on Saturday marks the third time in just over a year that a fatal fire in the city has been linked to a scooter battery.
Saturday’s fire was reported at a home in Queens around 7:30 am, a police spokesman said. Stephanie was found unresponsive and was pronounced dead at a hospital. The girl’s father and 18-year-old brother were treated for burns and smoke inhalation, officials said.
A fire department spokesman said the fire was caused by an electric scooter lithium battery — one of several fires attributed to electric scooter and bicycle batteries in New York City over the past two years.
A woman and a 5-year-old girl were killed in a fire attributed to a scooter battery in Harlem on Aug. 3, and an e-scooter fire killed a 9-year-old boy in Queens in September 2021.