The gunfire echoed Monday afternoon in the farms along the coastal hills of San Mateo County in and around Half Moon Bay.
When it was over, seven people were dead in multiple farming locations. Subsequently, the alleged gunman was found parked next to a Sheriff’s Office substation, where he was taken into custody. It came two days after the Monterey Park mass shooting and less than two weeks after the Goshen, California, shooting that left six dead.
Here’s what we know:
Where were the shootings?
- The violence took place on two farms about a mile apart.
- Authorities found the first four victims shot to death in the 12700 block of San Mateo Road in an unincorporated area of the county just before 2:30 p.m. A fifth victim was also found in the area and taken to Stanford Medical Center with life-threatening injuries,
- Minutes later, in an area about a mile away in the 2100 block of Cabrillo Highway, deputies found three more victims dead of apparent gunshot wounds.
- San Mateo County Sheriff Christina Corpus said some of the victims were killed in front of children who lived nearby and had recently been released from school. “It’s unspeakable for kids to see this,” she said.
What do we know about the shooter?
- He was identified as Chunli Zhao and authorities said he was a worker at one of the farms. He is believed to be a resident of Half Moon Bay.
- He was spotted driving his car at the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office substation in Half Moon Bay around 4:40 p.m., officials said. UKTN 7 video showed deputies dragging a man to the ground in the parking lot. The man was wearing a white cap, vest and red long-sleeved shirt.
- Authorities said they are still trying to determine a motive.
What about the victims?
- The names of the shots have not been released. They are presumably laborers on the farms.
- A reunification center was established for farm workers displaced by the shootings. San Mateo County Supervisor Ray Mueller was downtown Monday evening to speak with displaced farm workers and families of the victims. He said a family found out in his presence that their relative had been killed in the shooting. He estimated that about 30 to 40 people were with him at 7:30 PM