LOS ANGELES (UKTN) –Steven Manzo, a murder suspect who was mistakenly released earlier this month, has been released from custody, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department confirmed on Monday.
According to LASD, investigators observed Manzo in a gray Nissan Sentra in Buena Park. They followed Manzo to Cypress, where police conducted a high-risk traffic stop and took him into custody without incident.
READ MORE: LAPD investigates person found dead at Beverly Grove home, suspect at large
Manzo, 24, was mistakenly released from Century Regional Detention Center in Lynwood on March 9, sparking a large-scale manhunt in downtown Los Angeles that forced southbound lanes to close. from highway 101.
According to the authorities, Manzo was released the day after his arraignment for murder in connection with the murder of Salvador Corrales, 24, father of two children.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said Manzo was never transferred for this indictment, leading the office to dismiss the case and immediately return the same charges to delay the arraignment. charge.
READ MORE: UCLA to review efficacy of COVID-19 vaccine
A judge ordered Manzo to remain in detention, although it is not immediately clear why this did not happen or why he was able to walk freely.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said it had not “mistakenly released” Manzo, saying the department had received a release order.
The court said in a statement that it was reviewing the situation and would take “all necessary measures” to ensure that this does not happen again.
NO MORE NEWS: San Bernardino nears total of 4K COVID-19 deaths, Ventura nears 1K
Manzo was returned to custody at the Long Beach Police Department where he was being held on $ 4,090,000 bond.