A rave in Manchester was closed by police on Wednesday evening as crowds gathered to party just days after the coronavirus lockdown measures were eased.
City Councilor Pat Karney lamented the rally, saying, “They think they’re all immune and it’s over.”
Although photos and videos have shown people being taken away by police, The Telegraph understands that no arrests were made in the Castlefield Bowl incident.
Councilor Karney said, “They think they are immune and it’s all over. They may have older family members who know it’s not all over.
“We’re going to see more of this in our parks and downtown spots. We need Greater Manchester Police to be on top of the social media that brings them together.
“Residents who obey Covid regulations will be squeamish about these raves and p — ups.”
The rave came hours after police chiefs warned ministers the rule of six was virtually unenforceable due to the two-household concession.
As the councils began cleaning up trash left behind by people who gathered in parks and beaches during Tuesday’s heatwave, police sources said. The telegraph that the application of the rules had been made “very, very difficult” by the decision to also allow two households to meet outside.
Warning to those considering hosting future events, Councilor Karney added: “If you play live music at any of these gatherings, your equipment will be seized.
“This is selfish and dangerous behavior on the part of people leaving Manchester down. The pandemic is still with us.”
Greater Manchester Police said officers spent Wednesday patrolling the Castlefield area, speaking with groups about compliance with Covid rules.
As night fell, people began to set up music equipment, and as officers tried to talk to them, the crowd attacked the police and the officers withdrew.
Reinforcements were called in and when additional officers were dispatched, the mass rally dispersed.
Two men, aged 18, were arrested on suspicion of being exposed to modesty, but were subsequently canceled.
Inspector Jonathan Shilvock of the City of Manchester GMP Division said: “As a result of this rally we were forced to deploy additional officers from the entire City of Manchester division.
Fortunately, upon their arrival, the group quickly dispersed upon sight; however, this was a blatant violation of coronavirus rules and regulations.
“We realize that people will want to socialize due to the hot weather and the recent loosening of the rules, but I want to remind people that this pandemic is not over and that we all share a collective responsibility for following the rules and keeping infection rates down.
“Restrictions remain in place; outdoor gatherings (including in private gardens) may take place, but either of six people (from separate households) or from two different households (related households are counted as one).
“I want to thank everyone who played their part and obeyed the rules, as you play a vital role in slowing the spread of the virus. We will, however, continue to impose fines on those who ignore and demonstrate total disregard for the rules. “
There were also similar scenes in cities across the UK including Nottingham, Birmingham, London, Cardiff and Leeds.
The Manchester Rave, in pictures