Second American killed in action in Ukraine, Biden administration confirms

0
31

A second US citizen has died fighting the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the US State Department has confirmed.

Stephen Zabielski, 52, was killed in fighting on May 15, according to an obituary first published in an upstate New York newspaper, recorder, June 1.

Zabielski, who was from New York, died after stepping on a landmine, reports rolling stone, citing sources. He is survived by his wife, five stepchildren and one grandchild.

In a statement, a State Department spokesperson said the government had been in contact with his family and provided “all consular assistance possible.”

The spokesperson also reiterated the Biden administration’s stance warning U.S. citizens not to travel to Ukraine because of the conflict, and the possibility of Russian soldiers singling them out. He also added that all Ukrainian citizens should leave immediately.

See also  Imminent nuclear test in North Korea leaves US and South Korea waiting for bad news

Zabielski worked with a group of Western volunteers, attached to the Ukrainian army. He served alongside 13 English-speaking men in a combat squad called the Wolverines, said Tristan Nettles, a Marine Corps veteran, who says he was with Zabielski when he was killed.

Each band member toured Iraq, he said Rolling stone.

News of Zabielski’s death comes after several US fighters went missing in Ukraine, one of whom was confirmed dead.

In April, Willy Joseph Cancel Jr, a 22-year-old former US Marine, lost his life fighting alongside Ukrainian forces. He flew to Poland on March 12 and crossed into Ukraine within two days, his mother Rebecca Cabrera said.

See also  Artificial intelligence technology can secure sites by scanning major sites for weapons

“He wanted to go there because he believed in what Ukraine was fighting for, and he wanted to be part of it to contain it there so that it doesn’t come here, and that maybe our American soldiers wouldn’t have to be involved in it,” she told UKTN.

Last Monday, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov confirmed that Russia detained two Americans – Andy Huynh, 27, and Alexander Drueke, 39 – as they fought for the Ukrainian side.

See also  NSW to introduce 'equity sharing' scheme to boost home ownership

Additional reports by agencies

UKTN has a proud history of campaigning for the rights of the most vulnerable, and we launched our first campaign to welcome refugees during the war in Syria in 2015. Today, as we renew our campaign and launch this petition to Following the unfolding crisis in Ukraine, we are asking the government to go further and faster to ensure the delivery of aid. To learn more about our Welcome to Refugees campaign, Click here. To sign the petition Click here. If you would like to donate, please Click here for our GoFundMe page.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here