Second suspect in custody for questioning in murder of 7-year-old Jaslyn Adams

0
15

CHICAGO (UKTN) – Police are questioning a second person about the shooting death of 7-year-old Jaslyn Adams, who was killed in the parking lot of a McDonald’s in Homan Square just over a week ago.

Detectives were conducting a follow-up investigation Monday night in the 1500 block of South Springfield Avenue in Lawndale, when SWAT units were called for help, and the suspect subsequently exited on his own.

READ MORE: Child Tax Credit: How Much Money Can Parents Expect in Monthly Payments?

The first suspect, Marion Lewis, 18, was arrested last Thursday. Officers shot Lewis after a chase on the Eisenhower Freeway, where he attempted to hijack a family before being shot and arrested.

READ  Ruling party offers database to help protect children from sex crimes

Lewis faces a total of 19 felony charges and is being held without bail.

Jaslyn was shot dead on April 18 as she and her father sat in a McDonald’s driving wheel in the 3200 block of West Roosevelt Road on Kedzie Avenue. Investigators said Jaslyn was punched around her body several times. She was pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital in Cook County.

The family said his father, Jontae Adams, 29, was also affected. Chicago police say Adams was shot in the upper body. He was taken to Cook County Stroger Hospital, where he is still recovering from his injuries.

READ  Negotiate or break in? How the police handle stand-offs with people who lock themselves in

READ MORE: Red Cross Global Citizenship Hero: Joshua Hoyt

According to prosecutors, surveillance footage from McDonald’s shows a silver Audi with a paper license plate and distinctive discoloration parking behind the car with Jaslyn and her father. Two men with hoodies covering their faces jumped out of the car and shot Adams’ car before getting back into the Audi, prosecutors said. When the victims ‘car resumed moving, the two men exited the Audi again and again fired at the victims’ vehicle before getting back into the car and driving away.

READ  Otago students hit back at university waste plan targeting their homes

Prosecutors said Lewis stayed in a car while two other men with him got out and opened fire, and also said he had previously threatened Jaslyn’s father.

The two shooters have yet to be charged, prosecutors said, and Lewis never got out of the vehicle.

A total of 45 shell casings were found at the scene.

NO MORE NEWS: Red Cross Education Hero: Phalon Carpenter

Police did not say whether the second suspect arrested on Monday would be one of the shooters.

.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here