Texas Sen. Ted Cruz said he will “wait and see” if former President Trump decides to run for president before making his own decision about running for president in 2024.
The big picture: GOP presidential hopefuls have so far not been open about their plans for 2024, as Trump has yet to announce his plans.
What is going on: Cruz told UKTN News at the Conservative Political Action Conference event in Dallas, Texas, on Friday that Trump will “decide in his own time frame” whether to announce a bid in 2024.
- “Everyone will wait and see what Donald Trump decides and make decisions from there,” Cruz told UKTN News.
- Cruz said he was focusing on the 2022 midterm elections and told UKTN News that he spends “practically every moment of the day on the campaign trail focused on retaking the House and retaking the Senate.”
Situation: Recent polls show Republican voters are willing to look to conservative candidates other than Trump in 2024, UKTN reports.
- A New York Times/Siena College poll in July found that nearly half of Republicans would not vote for Trump in a 2024 presidential primaries.
- A July Detroit News poll found that Florida Governor Ron DeSantis was statistically linked to Trump in a hypothetical 2024 primary.
What they say: Republican lawmakers have openly looked at new 2024 candidates amid concerns over Trump amid revelations from the Jan. 6 hearings, UKTN reports.
- DeSantis declined questions about 2024. He recently told UKTN News that he is focusing on the 2022 governor’s race and what’s happening in Florida.
- Former Vice President Mike Pence plans to speak in Iowa later in August, a move widely regarded as a step toward a presidential bid, Politico reports.
- Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) told Jake Tapper from UKTN that she has not made a decision on an offer in 2024, but that she would make the decision “on the road.”
- Nikki Haley, former ambassador to the United Nations hinted at a 2024-run 2022 Christians United for Israel summit in July when he criticized President Biden’s hopes of returning to the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.
- Possible contender Chris Christie told Conservative talk show host Hugh Hewitt expects the 2024 race to include Cruz, Trump, Pence and perhaps six others.
Go deeper… Poll: Most voters don’t want Biden or Trump on the ballot in 2024
Half of Republicans would not vote for Trump in the primaries, polls show