Police investigating the cause of Tiger Woods’ car crash said they had concluded their investigation – but were unable to release the results without permission from the top winner on 15 occasions.
Woods was released from hospital earlier this month after suffering a number of serious injuries when his SUV overturned in Los Angeles on February 23.
The 45-year-old was the lone occupant of his vehicle who struck a middle strip, rolled over and came to a stop on the side near a steep road. The crash left the 82-time PGA Tour winner with a fractured right leg and broken ankle and stunned the sports world and beyond, with former US Presidents Donald Trump and Barack Obama among those offering their support .
The former world number one had to be pulled out of the vehicle through the windshield.
Speaking on Wednesday, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said: “A case has been determined and an investigation has been concluded.
“However, we have contacted Tiger Woods and his staff and there are privacy concerns when information about the investigation is released.
“We will ask them if they can waive confidentiality, and then we can publish a full version of all the information about the accident.
“We have the contents of the black box, everything is finished, sealed and delivered, but we cannot release it without permission from the people involved in the collision.”
After the accident, Woods had a rod inserted into his right shin, with additional screws and pins inserted into the bones of his foot and ankle.
He is now recovering at his home in Florida.
Villanueva, who was speaking in a Q&A posted on his Instagram account, added: “It is still an accident.
“Nothing changed about what we learned during the investigation. Everything we did was found to be correct.”