13.8 C
London
Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Unplaced Western Cape students caught amid MEC, activists spat

Must read

UK Time Newshttps://www.uktimenews.com
UK Time News is your daily dose of Latest News, Entertainment, Music, Fashion, Lifestyle, World, Cricket, Sports, Politics, Tech, Business News Website. We provide you with the Latest Breaking News Straight from the UK & all around the World on different categories.

Through Sisonke Mlamla 18h ago

Share this article:

Cape Town – Equal Education (EE) and Equal Education Law Center (EELC) rejected MEC Education Debbie Schäfer’s claims that they were unwilling to help solve the school admissions crisis.

The groups said Schäfer should take responsibility for developing long-term solutions to the annual admissions crisis instead of making false claims about them.

READ  WATCH: Girl challenges Pittsburgh cop and former Pitt football player to run

In a statement, the groups said last week, Schäfer claimed that the EE failed to provide the Western Cape Department of Education (WCED) with “verifiable data” on the number of students in the school. province who were not yet enrolled in schools.

READ  'Here We Go Again': Companies clean up after night of destruction after Daunte Wright murder

“It’s very unfortunate because we (WCED) were hoping to have some help in this regard,” she said.

EE and EELC said they wanted to officially state that Schäfer’s comments were bogus.

“At the start of each year there are thousands of learners who are moved to schools in the Western Cape, and in anticipation of this we wrote to Schäfer on October 23, 2020, to raise our concerns and ask questions about WCED’s plans for the placement of learners for 2021. “

READ  "It's time to end the war forever": Joe Biden to begin US exit from Afghanistan on May 1

They said their two organizations stressed the need for WCED to develop well thought out and clear plans to deal with the annual crisis, and that Schäfer’s response to their letter was dismissive and did not provide a plan.

Schäfer said the list provided by the EELC did not contain any identification number or Centralized Education Management Information System (Cemis) number and that in one case even the last name was not not provided.

READ  "It's time to end the war forever": Joe Biden to begin US exit from Afghanistan on May 1

She said no phone number had been provided to the parents of 10 of the students, preventing the department from accessing the information needed to place the students.

READ  Watch DP Ruto Deejays at his daughter's party

“There are other concerns – a 30-year-old ‘learner’ appears on the list, for whom parents would have applied to primary school. A 6-year-old is listed as needing a place in 5th grade. A child is 4 years old – not even of school age, “Schäfer said.

She said more revealingly that for 28 learners, parents said they had never applied for a school and for 14 other students they had not answered whether and where they had. applied.

“It is not clear how a learner can be displaced if they haven’t even applied for a place in a school. Yet EELC claims they are displaced,” she said.

Cape Argus

More articles

15,129FansLike
4,596FollowersFollow

Latest article