Far Cry 6 is now available to play for free, but only for a few days.
The latest first-person shooter in the long-running Far cry series is free on PC (Ubisoft and Epic Game Store) from today through August 7, as well as on PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia, and Amazon Luna.
Free players have access to the entire game and all the free DLC released to date. The game is available to play in 2 player online co-op, but unfortunately is not cross-play.
I watched an example Far Cry 6 before release but never played the game when it came out so this is a good chance to give it another try. Admittedly, while I’ve had a lot of fun with this series, it started to get a little repetitive. I wish they would leave the formula and do something else. The first three Far cry games were all completely different experiences, but from Far cry 4 furthermore, we’ve had basically the same game in different locations. (Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon was also fantastic).
The game is set on the tropical island of Yara (actually a fictional Cuba) under the despotic rule of Antón Castillo (played by Giancarlo Esposito of Breaking Bad and You better call Saul fame).
You play as Dani Rojas (not That Dani Rojas!) and can choose to be male or female, an option that has become common in recent Ubisoft titles. Collect NPC companions, pets and a huge arsenal of weapons and explore and fight your way through Yara’s deadly jungles and cities. If you played Far cry you get the picture. If you haven’t already, well, it’s free, so you might as well do that!
The game didn’t rate as well as some of the entries in the series, with a 76/100 on OpenCritic. (Far Cry 3 had high 80s and low 90s on Metacritic, and is widely regarded as the pinnacle of the series).
Far Cry 6 Sale
Ubisoft also announced a sale for the game, lowering the prices and the DLC and season passes. Through the press release:
- PC via Ubisoft Store: From now until August 16, players can get 60 percent off the Standard, Gold, and Ultimate editions of the game, 50 percent off the Season Pass and all three DLCs, as well as an additional $ 5 in their Ubisoft Store account to use towards their next purchase when they pick up Far Cry 6 during the promotional period. More information can be found at: store.ubisoft.com.
- PC via Epic Games Store: From now until August 8, players will receive a 60 percent discount on all editions of the game and a 50 percent discount on the Season Pass and all three DLCs.
- Xbox: From now until August 15, players will receive a 60 percent discount on the Standard and Gold editions of the game and a 50 percent discount on the Season Pass.
- PlayStation: From now until August 17, players will receive a 55 percent discount on the Deluxe edition** and a 60 percent discount on the Ultimate edition of the game, as part of the PlayStation Store’s Summer Sale.
Photo Mode Contest
Ubisoft also announced a Photo Mode contest. To participate, players must post an in-game photo, video, or GIF that captures their “summer vibe” on Twitter, Instagram, or TikTok. Entries must include the hashtag #FarCry6FreeWeekendContest to win. Prices include:
- AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Graphics Cards
- Far Cry 6 collectible figurines
- Tobii eye trackers
- Corsair headsets
Click here for more information about the competition.